<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 30, 2004

Idoru by William Gibson was next. I came late to William Gibson. I didn't read Neuromancer until many years after I'd already discovered Neal Stephenson and Melissa Scott and even then I wasn't terribly impressed. That all changed when I read Pattern Recognition last year. That book knocked my socks off and I've been slowly gathering his previous works to read. I totally loved Idoru. It gets in some great jabs at the media rule under which we live - the cult of celebrity and how we create and destroy them. It also touches on the nature of fandom (rather appropriate seeing as how I'd flown all the way across the country just to see my favorite band play two shows), and loyalty and love. Man, how have I missed reading Gibson until now? He's three for three with me.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?