<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Okay, so Kushiel's Avatar by Jacqueline Carey was good. It was also frustrating because I can't understand why I didn't like it more - why I didn't get emotionally invested in the characters and events. I wanted to love it - the story was exciting and epic and it was well told, with good pacing and character development and everything, but I stayed so... detached. It can't be that I didn't identify with the character - I couldn't identify with J.T. LeRoy's characters either, but his books left me emotionally drained. Maybe it was the writing style? It's definitely written in High Fantasy, all flourishes and ornamentations. But that's not it either or else I wouldn't connect to classics by Shakespeare, Austen, etc. The repetition did start to get to me because I read the previous entry in the trilogy fairly recently, but I don't think that explains the lack of investment. I don't know why I felt removed from the book and it's really annoying that I can't figure it out.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?