<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

I finished If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell yesterday. I remember my brother and I rented Army of Darkness back when I was in high school. We loved it, of course. I was an avid fan of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. (thus beginning my long history of becoming a fan of unjustly cancelled television shows). And a friend loaned me Evil Dead a few years ago to watch, which freaked me the hell out. Good stuff. So, I've always kinda known who Bruce Campbell is, but haven't been a devoted fan. I think this book made me one, though. He talks about growing up and making friends with Sam Raimi in high school and how they and their group of friends made Super 8 movies. We get the blow by blow of filming Evil Dead (and it's nice to see a cult figure acknowledge and show affection for the cultists who made the film and him a success) and his struggle to make a living as a B actor in Hollywood. He is able to show how most actors don't make the kind of money we usually imagine, but with humor and examples that had me laughing. He doesn't dish much on the people with whom he's worked (although he gets a dig or two in at Tom Arnold's expense) which is a little disappointing, but the guy still has to work, right? His voice is so appealing that it's like you're just hanging out, hearing him tell stories all day.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?