<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 01, 2004

I had yesterday off, so I polished off a few books. The first was The Solace of Leaving Early by Haven Kimmel, which I thought was beautiful. The specter of death hangs over the whole book and this, combined with recurring themes of grief, religion, seeing and being seen makes it a very moving read. Okay, I admit it - I cried. Through the entire thing. I loved the way she allowed her characters to be unlikable at times. I loved how characters kept surprising me (and the other characters in the book) with unexpected kindnesses or personality quirks, making me question my assumptions much like the characters must do. I loved the philosophy and the depth of thought required to follow the conversations. I loved how Amos and Langston had essentially the same problem, but had differing approaches when dealing with it. Oh, it has its faults - the ending seems a little rushed and the relationship between Amos and Langston (although inevitable) needed more development. But I loved it anyway. I loved that it made me think and cry, all at the same time.

Her next book is about a pool playing girl in New Orleans. Sound familiar?

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?