<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 12, 2004

Yesterday I tried to read The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant, which has tons of holds on it in our system and got good reviews. It's set in Italy during the Renaissance and it's got painting, religion, sex, homosexuals... all stuff you'd think I'd love. But, yeah, not so much. The narrator bugged, the writing style was fairly pretentious, it coyly involved historical figures (Lorenzo de' Medici, Da Vinci, etc.)... I just couldn't settle into it. I managed about 40 pages before I started skimming, reading a few pages here and there to get the gist of the story and that still didn't convince me to give it a real go. So I pulled out Children of the Storm by Elizabeth Peters, which I should finish just in time to start the new Neal Stephenson tomorrow. You know, maybe that's one of the reasons I didn't like it - Neal Stephenson does all that stuff so much better and smarter so anything less when I'm anticipating his new one just won't suffice.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?