<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 07, 2004

I started Mona Lisa Smile by William Gibson while on vacation this last weekend and haven't had much time to finish it until today. I honestly had no idea until about halfway through the book that it was part of a trilogy of books all set in the same future. It wasn't even until the end that I realized Bobby (The Count) was from Count Zero. Yeah, I know. Blame the sun for frying my brain. Anyway. I guess this is proof that this book can be read as a stand-alone because it's been years since I've read either Neuromancer or Count Zero (the first two books in the trilogy). It definitely doesn't hurt to have those books in mind though because Gibson always throws you into his worlds to sink or swim; there's no dipping of toes allowed. As always he tells a great story and the momentum of the plot is enough to keep you turning pages, even when you aren't exactly sure where you are or how you got there. Now that I know the books are connected I'm going to have to read them again as a unit and not years apart as I've done this time.

I've said it before - but man, William Gibson can write.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?