<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 28, 2004

I picked up The Shape of Snakes by Minette Walters (hardcover) for $1.99 at the grocery store. The best part about that deal? It's really, really good. Like, I thought she couldn't top Acid Row, but I think this one might have done it. Maybe I liked it so much because the first person narrator is unreliable and suspiciously motivated and reminded me of Daphne du Maurier's narrators (although hers tend to be much more naive and confused). She is, we find out over the course of the book, manipulative, possibly mentally ill, and occasionally cruel, but her cause is noble. Or is it? Justice or revenge... or both? I truly did not guess the ending until it was laid out, which made me happy because so many mysteries I read telegraph everything. I really like how she included correspondence and newspaper stories and official reports between the chapters to slowly fill the reader in on the characters and the 20 years that passed between the murder and the current story.

I don't remember her earlier books being this good, but between this one and Acid Row, she's now definitely on my list of must-read authors.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?