<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Next was Don't Look Now by Daphne du Maurier, a collection of five short stories/novellas. The title story is definitely the strongest of the five - it made me laugh on the first page and got progressively more creepy as it went on. And even though I knew what was going to happen (from seeing the excellent movie adaptation) I was still hoping for the best. The second story, "The Breakthrough" was okay, but I totally guessed what was going to happen. "Not After Midnight" is a little coy in what it's getting at, but again, I saw it coming. I had problems with "A Border-Line Case," mostly because I didn't like the narrator. I thought she was a complete drama queen and the shocking ending wasn't so shocking because (are we sensing a theme?) I saw it coming a mile away. The most irritating was "The Way Of the Cross" though because it didn't seem to go anywhere. I liked the shifting viewpoints at the beginning, but all the characters were so disagreeable that I starting hoping all the accidents would mean they'd all end up dead (which didn't happen).

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?