<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 21, 2004

Saturday afternoon I read Death Gets a Time-out, the fourth "Mommy-Track Mystery" from Ayelet Waldman. I think I've missed the third one, but it didn't seem to matter to the ongoing storyline. This time she's officially partnered up with the ex-cop (reminiscent of the guy in Patricia Cornwell's series) as private investigators. Again, as in the first two, I spotted the killer about halfway through and guessed most of the plot twists well before they happened. And again, it's the ambivalent mothering that rings the most true and is the primary reason why I keep reading these. (It's ever-so-tempting to read too much of her real life situation into this area though. Used to be a public defender, has 3 kids, husband writes all night, etc...) One thing that's begun to bug me though is that in 3 of the 4 I've read now the killer has been female (two of them in this one). I don't know if this is misogyny or if she thinks it would be easier to believe her physically tiny heroine taking on women. Don't know. Maybe I'll try her regular fiction to see if it's better stripped of the mystery framework.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?