<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, July 15, 2004

Before I left for my short vacation, I finished In the Forests of Serre by Patricia McKillip. McKillip takes the trappings of the genre and reveals depths of character and complicated motives that flesh out stock characters like the wizard, the prince, the princess, the queen, etc. It is also a book about where you keep your heart and what value it holds.

Each book of hers I read feels so familiar, like a fairy tale I'm sure I remember from childhood. And every title is a perfect little gem full of life and love and heartbreak and beauty and magic. Personally, I don't think she'll ever surpass her Riddlemaster trilogy, but I have yet to read one of her books that isn't gorgeous and unique. Whenever I start to complain about the lack of originality in so much contemporary science fiction and fantasy, Patricia McKillip is one of the authors that restores my faith in the possibility inherent in the genre.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?