<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 20, 2004

My roommate subtly hinted to me late last week that I should hurry up and read the new Jasper Fforde book, Something Rotten, so she could borrow it. I took pity on her and pulled it out to read Saturday evening. Man, I love this series. The characters are delightful, the plots are funny, and the conceit is genius. I picked up the first one (The Eyre Affair) shortly after it came out while browsing at Kepler's and it's one of the best impulse buys I've ever made. I love the thought of entering books and idea of books and their characters having downtime and backstories and the fluidity of language and story that Fforde plays with. The execution of those ideas has been inspired and even emotionally affecting at times. This latest entry isn't quite as good as the last one, but it's still pretty terrific. And, as with the others, the better you know your classic literature, the funnier everything is.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?