<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, November 01, 2004

My last book before starting my novel was Sammy's Hill by Kristin Gore. I was a little wary of this one because the heroine seemed almost too chick-lit-quirky and I thought for sure she'd start to annoy me pretty quickly. Surprisingly though, she didn't. The romantic plots were fairly predictable, but the setting (Washington D.C.) and Sammy's job (health care analyst to a senator) definitely added some depth and more than made up for that. Sammy herself, with perhaps one or two too many quirks, was endearing and idealistic, but not stupid or annoying. It was fun to try and figure out which politicians were inspired by real life, with the most obvious being the President. Here's the description from the book: "Even after seven years of watching him, President Pile never ceased to amaze me. He always sported a blank, deer-caught-in-the-headlights expression that inspired neither confidence nor all that much respect. He'd made a career out of failing upwards, but his disastrous reign as the leader of the free world had used up what had once appeared to be a bizarrely limitless amount of luck. I watched him stumble over a few more sentence fragments before jutting out his jaw and signing the bill with a flourish. At least that was some proof he was literate. I didn't mean to be so callous, but having a shitty president was something I took personally." Tell me that's not Bush. Hah. This was a quick, fun read and one of the better chick lit titles out there.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?