<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, December 02, 2004

Over the Thanksgiving weekend I finished California Girl by T. Jefferson Parker. It got a couple of great reviews so I was excited to read it, hoping I'd find another mystery writer I could follow and whose back catalogue I could dive into. Unfortunately, I think my hopes were a bit too high for this one. The bulk of the action takes place in the 1960s and some of the cultural references and cameos started to feel a little forced after a while. The author was clearly trying to paint a larger picture of our society in flux and the generational culture clash that was happening in the late '60s, but you can see the strain. The mystery itself wasn't all that hard to figure out and the murderer is revealed in a swift move set in the present day that rings false. It read like Michael Connelly doing a subpar James Ellroy impersonation. Despite all that I did enjoy it in a disposable, unchallenging sort of way, but I don't think I'll go searching for his other books any time soon.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?