<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Some books I read feel very familiar because, like with The Blue Castle, I read them years ago but forgot. Others, like An Old Fashioned Girl, are familiar because of their resemblance to another book (in that case Mansfield Park). And then there's Plan B by Jonathan Tropper which is familiar but I don't know why. Almost all the way through I had the feeling I'd read it before, but I'm pretty sure I haven't. Maybe I felt that way because I saw a few similarities with Microserfs and High Fidelity. Maybe I knew what would happen with the Darth Vader mask because it was telegraphed pretty obviously. Or maybe it felt familiar because I've had similar thoughts or conversations - like the bit about the difficulty of making new friends after 30. I know I've had that conversation more than once, but did I arrive at that conclusion myself or did I get it from reading this book when it first came out? Or from somewhere else entirely? I don't know and it's bugging me why everything in this book seemed so very familiar.

Anyway. It was funny and fast paced and I liked it, but not as much as The Book of Joe.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?