<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The next book I read was Project X by Jim Shepard but I don't think I can talk about that one without getting emotional. Just go read it.

Instead I'll skip to How Soon is Never? by Marc Spitz which is so chick lit for guys. But since it's for guys it's all about how music saved his life and the perfect woman who got away. The main character writes for a major music magazine and in an attempt to return to his adolescence instead of growing up, he and the woman he idolizes decide to try and reunite The Smiths, a band that had a huge influence on their teenage years. I'm a big music fan and there were so many moments that rang true - like the scene in the lunchroom when one of the characters catches a hated jock humming the tune to "How Soon is Now?" and yells, "They are not for you! They're ours! You fuckers already took U2!" I don't know how many times I've felt like that.

In one of those weird coincidences, this book complemented Project X by picking up one of the great ironies of that book and following a possible outcome of the situation. I'm trying not to spoil either book so I realize that was an incredibly vague statement. But I think that if I'd read these books separate from each other, I wouldn't have made the same connection. Realizing the similarity only made Project X that much more poignant.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?