<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 03, 2005

I'm always up for a good YA novel, so intrigued by this post, I tracked down a copy of The Grounding of Group 6 by Julian F. Thompson with high hopes. It's about a group of five kids sent off to boarding school, only to find that their parents have actually paid to have them killed. With the help of their teacher (who was supposed to do the killing) they escape and hide out in the woods. It's like a cross between House of Stairs and Deathwatch without the desert. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as either of those books. I suspect if I'd read it for the first time when I was a teenager, the anti-establishment hippy utopia message would've felt revolutionary; and the idea of your parents hating you enough to have you killed because you're different or made a mistake would've felt, like, so true. Hee. Coming at it from (nearly) 30, it seems clunky and overwrought and inspired more eye-rolling from me than sympathy. Man, I really am getting old...

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?