<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, April 22, 2005

Man, Blogger was being annoying yesterday so I didn't get to post about the other books I read on Pajama Day. After finishing The Big Nowhere I resisted the temptation to start LA Confidential immediately because I had a lot of library books to get through. First of those was The Ninth Life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen because it's got a bunch of holds on it. I'm not quite sure why. It's decent enough, I suppose, but I think it's another one of those books that sounded interesting to me when I heard about it, but that turned out less than I'd imagined once I read it. Louis Drax is a nine year who has had a life threatening accident every year and this last one landed him in a coma. The book is alternately narrated by Louis (in his coma) and the doctor caring for him. There's a mystery as to what exactly happened to him and why.

I liked it okay, but ultimately I didn't really feel a connection with any of the characters. The mystery wasn't all that hard to figure out and knowing what happened made the doctor (and most of the men in the book) really annoying. Is anyone going to read this book? I'm going to spoil it. I knew from the first that the mother was responsible and seeing the men all behave like lovesick idiots in front of her made me angry at how stupid they were. And she was the kind of person I hate - someone who tells lies and manipulates others just to get sympathy and attention. It's almost a toss-up as to who I dislike more: those who do that or those who fall for it. Unfortunately the book is packed full of both types. Luckily it was short or I probably wouldn't have finished it.

I should've stuck with Ellroy.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?