<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 09, 2005

Next was a book of short stories by Tom Bissell, God Lives in St. Petersburg. All of the stories are set in Central Europe or the Middle East and concern Americans interacting with the local cultures and attitudes. But that doesn't even begin to describe the various situations that occur or the memorable characters that people them. The stories are dark and unrelenting but interesting and never boring. I liked them a lot. Okay, okay. I admit it. I enjoy short stories. Happy now? I still don't think I'll ever prefer them over longer forms, but I no longer have an irrational dislike of them. Bissell also has a non-fiction book out that I've requested. It looks like it's set in the same region and I'm looking forward to reading it.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?