<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

None of my library books were insisting on being read yesterday so I pulled out Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs which I bought way back when it came out but never got around to until now. It fit my mood because I feel like I've been reading a lot of serious or difficult stuff lately and just wanted to laugh. I'd read a few of these essays before on Salon but they were just as funny the second time around and there was enough other new stuff to keep me from getting impatient. The essays are organized in a vaguely chronological order, filling in episodes of his life that he hadn't already detailed in Running With Scissors or Dry. The title identifies the loose thread that runs through many of the essays - that belief that events are under his control; that he can make things happen just by wishing them. Personally, I would wish my cough away.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?