<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 23, 2005

One or two of the lit blogs I frequent mentioned The Tears of Autumn by Charles McCarry as a great old spy novel that had recently come back into print. That's a genre I'm not all that familiar with so I thought I'd check it out and see what I've been missing. It takes place in 1963 and is about a spy, Paul Christopher, who believes he knows who was responsible for the Kennedy assassination and sets out to prove his theory. It's an interesting little political thriller, but I was a little disappointed that the solution was so apparent so early on. The big summary at the end that was supposed to tie together all the threads felt extraneous. It was also very focused which I can't decide if I liked or not. On the one hand it was nice not to have any stupid red herrings or lame subplots, but on the other hand it felt very... obvious. As if Paul were infallible and never made a wrong guess. The end really felt like a foregone conclusion. I did enjoy it a lot but I think I like a bit more complexity in my books.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?