<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 13, 2005

I finished up my Sean Stewart run with Resurrection Man. It was both easier to understand and more complicated than I remembered. It takes place in the same "world" as both Galveston and The Night Watch, but the events in the book occur before the flood of magic in 2004. It's about Dante, who has been avoiding his own power but is forced to face it by his brother Jet when Jet discovers Dante's body under a sheet in Dante's room. It's an unusual opening, Dante performing an autopsy on his own body, and definitely more creepy than I remembered, what with the spiders and all. I think I followed the story better this time because I worked my way backwards in the chronology of the world. It doesn't seem like it would be the case, but the other books told enough history of what happened pre-Flood that it's easier to place the action knowing that.

There were a bunch of things I wanted to write about this book but I left it at home with all my notes inside. Let's see... I know I wanted to mention the use of religious and mythological terminology to describe the magic and its effects. There are angels, minotaurs, demons, the virgil, Dante himself, gods, etc. There is also a reference to the golems that appeared in Germany during WWII which I know was mentioned in one of the other books too. Religion and mythology are as close to mysticism and magic as society gets, so it makes sense that they would use those terms to describe something out of their realm of experience. It's simply the closest thing they know that fits. I think I also had jotted down some recurring ideas and symbols that run through the three books - the little girls, two of which are created, wings (butterfly, angel, bird), the idea of accepting responsibility. I think there were more but that's all I've got right now.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?