<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

And a weekend roundup:

I needed something light after the heavy week, so I turned to Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendson, the listmom of one of my Yahoo Firefly groups. I think this is my first (sorta) chicklit book this year. I actually love the concept - that New York is full of magical creatures but only certain people who are immune to magic can see them, one of whom is hired by a firm specializing in spells. The execution was nice and Shanna has a breezy writing style, light on the cheesy romance aspects and delving more into the magical and business sides of things. She has said she has ideas for sequels if she gets a deal, so here's hoping she gets to write them.

Next I pulled out Twilight Children, Torey Hayden's newest. In this book she's out of the classroom and dealing with two children in a clinical setting, while also consulting on a geriatric patient who can't speak after having a stroke. It's vintage Torey and further reinforced my theory that some people should not have children. Ever.

Before she was so rudely interrupted, Daisy was reading As Simple As Snow by Gregory Galloway. It sounded interesting, so I grabbed that one next. It kind of reminded me of Looking For Alaska, which I read not too long ago. There's a lot more ambiguity in this book though, and it's not as funny. I think I prefer Alaska.

And then, because I've been feeling very, very guilty for keeping so many of Claire's books (I seem to raid her bookshelves every time I see her) I read How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. It's the story of a 15 year old girl sent to live with relatives in England after her father remarries. Unfortunately, right after she arrives, England is invaded and something like WWIII breaks out. She and her 9 year old cousin are separated from the others and have to make their way back to the farm where they hope to meet up with them. I enjoyed the trek through the woods and the disorientation and fear and uncertainty all felt very real, which made the whole mind link / telepathy subplot seem that much more silly. I really could've done without it because it felt gratuitous and unnecessary, given the severity of the action in the book. Overall though I enjoyed it. Thanks, Claire! I'll try and read your others faster.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?