<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Normally after almost a week of vacation with my family I'd have a big long list of books I read while I was there. But, this being Nanowrimo, Thanksgiving found me unbelievably still cranking away at my novel (last day! Eek!), so I only have two books to report on. The first is Vampire High by Douglas Rees. Doug is actually a librarian at one of our branches and I had no idea until just recently that he was an author too. I believe he normally writes children's historical fiction, but this one looked funny and I'm a sucker (ugh, sorry) for vampire books, movies, TV shows, etc. so I picked it up. (I also grabbed it as an incentive for me to finish my novel - a kind of "Look, he did it! So can I!" thing.) It's actually really good. The basic premise is a regular kid enrolls at Vlad Dracul High School and soon discovers that most of the other kids there are vampires. He's there to be on the water polo team (water sports are a state requirement but vampires will melt in the water, hence the need for a few regular human kids) and is guaranteed an automatic 4.0 if he just shows up for games. Instead, he decides to start trying to pass the classes and throws the school into upheaval. It was smart and funny and imaginative and even had a twist or two at the end I wasn't expecting. Good job, Doug.

The second book was The Sinner by Tess Gerritson. This one was sitting on the end table next to the recliner in which I attempted to write at my family's house. With nine or more people running around all the time, it was a little hard to do. Basically reading this book was just me avoiding writing. It's about the murder of a nun and how it relates to some corporate crime. It was okay, but way too predictable for me to pick up another of her books.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?