<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

This weekend while babysitting I read The Realm Of Possibility by David Levithan. It's a series of interconnected prose poems, each written from the viewpoint of a different high school student. I don't know enough about poetry to say if the poems themselves are good or not, but a few of them were uncomfortably close to those I produced during my nobody likes me, everybody hates me, think I'll go eat worms junior high / high school poetry writing phase. So, I think it's a safe bet to say he gets the emotions right at least. I do think a couple of them were lovely (especially the last one) and there was one I really liked about a guy whose girlfriend is in love with Holden Caufield. It started out funny, with lines like "...Whoever made the cover blank knew what he was doing, because what image of Holden could be stronger than the picture in my girlfriend's head?" but turns sad when you realize how much he likes her and is trying to connect with her, but can't because of her fixation. I started the book a little wary of the format and occasionally I had to flip back to remember who was talking and who they were talking about, but I ended up really enjoying it.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?