<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I was out sick most of last week. The first book I read while working my way through an entire box of tissues was The Mexican Tree Duck by James Crumley. I skipped the second Milo book and went directly to this one, which features the same guy from The Last Good Kiss, but I think I'm going to have to backtrack because of a certain twist at the end. Anyway. This one takes place in the early '90s, but still has that breezy mania that made TLGK so fun. I saw more of the twists coming this time though, so I think I'm getting used to his plotting.

Next up was Puff by Bob Flaherty, which I've had on my list for a while. It's about two brothers caught in Boston during a blizzard in the 1970s. They set off in search of more weed, disguised as Red Cross aid workers, but get caught up actually helping people along the way. It was pretty funny mostly, only occasionally shading into annoying, but never enough to make me start hating the characters.

Keeping up the light, fun reading, next up was Thud by Terry Prachett, the latest in his Discworld series, which I enjoyed a lot. It's not one of the best in the series and I kinda wish he'd decide once and for all when and how he was going to use Carrot, but I don't think there's really ever been a truly bad Discworld book.

And finally, last night I finished The Girl In The Glass by Jeffrey Ford, which was excellent. It's about a young Mexican immigrant in the early 1930s who has joined up with a spiritualist con man who, during a seance, sees the spirit of a young girl in a window and decides to find out who she is and what happened to her. This takes them into the world of the super rich on Long Island and the shadowy dealings they have with the K K K. It was creepy and funny and populated with appealing and entertaining characters. Good stuff. I'm going downstairs right now to check out another one of his books.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?