<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, April 03, 2006

Friday I finished up Bear V. Shark by Chris Bachelder, a novel set in the indeterminate near future where televisions have no off switch and the biggest event in the country is the fight between a bear and a shark. From the beginning of the book I was struck by the similarities to both Infinite Jest and Feed. Unfortunately BVS didn't ever make me forget either of those titles and suffered in comparison as a result. Even the meta references to DFW didn't help - they just made it apparent that the author was also aware of the similarities. Nice try. I'm not giving up on him entirely, though. I have his next book sitting at home and it sounds more promising, so we'll see how that one goes.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?