<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, May 15, 2006

I appreciated God's Country by Percival Everett more than I actually enjoyed it. On the surface it's the story of a white rancher named Curt whose wife is carried off by outlaws. He hires a black tracker named Bubba to help him get her back and along the way they encounter Indians, General Custer, a Bible salesman, and other colorful old west characters. I understood that keeping the readers in Curt's head forced us to see things through his eyes and served to highlight his racism and sexism and of the people he encounters, but it was frustrating to have Bubba, the most interesting character in the book, remain an enigma. Which was obviously the point.

Anyway. Yesterday I read The Oxford Murders by Guillermo Martinez, a nice twisty little murder mystery involving mathematicians and logic series. By the end I was kicking myself for not listening to my instincts about the murders and instead getting caught up in trying to solve the series, much like the main character.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?