<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Last night I finished It's Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini which is about a fifteen-year-old clinically depressed kid named Craig who, while off his meds, stops just short of attempting suicide and gets committed to the adult psychiatric wing of the hospital for five days (the teen area is under repair). While there, removed from the pressure he puts on himself, Craig discovers his artistic talent and realizes how to anchor his life (and that he needs to stay on his meds). This is one of those books I feel weird about criticizing because I'm not too sure how autobiographical it is (there's a note at the end saying Vizzini was committed for five days and wrote the book in the month following that experience). So when I say that the resolution felt a little too easy and the gains he makes over those five days seem a little too good to be true, I don't know if it was simplified for the sake of the novel or if that's really how it works in real life. It just felt a little too tidy. I did enjoy reading it though and will be checking out his other works.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?