<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, July 23, 2007

The bloom is off the rose a bit with Wings To The Kingdom by Cherie Priest. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed it a lot, but some flaws started to jump out at me. Maybe it was because a haunted Civil War battlefield just isn't as creepy as a Florida swamp, but I felt there was a little less urgency to the plot this time around. I also thought the writing wasn't as accomplished as I'd initially thought. I'm still eagerly anticipating her third book though and would recommend them to anyone who likes a good ghost story.

Saturday afternoon while I was waiting for my Harry Potter book to arrive I read The Earth, My Butt, And Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler. It's a YA book about an overweight girl who feels like a misfit in her family of thin perfectionists. When an event happens that causes her to reevaluate not only her family but also herself, she discovers her own style and niche. I liked it for the most part, but it bugged me that the author implied the only reason why Virginia was fat was because she sat around eating junk food all day. It's such a lazy shortcut when it comes to sketching a fat character. I liked the doctor that Virginia's mom makes her go to though and the fact that she actually gains weight after her diet fails, which is completely realistic.

Literally two minutes after I finished it, the doorbell rang and the mail carrier handed me Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling which I then proceeded to read straight through without a break. I found it a little slow in one or two parts, but overall I'm very satisfied and feel quite vindicated in several positions I've held since the events of book 6. And that's all I'm saying because I hate people spoiling things for me.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?