<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

And now a quick roundup of my 2007 reading.

I read 111 books this year: 45 fiction, 39 YA, 21 non-fiction, and 5 short story collections.

My 10-ish favorites of the year in the order I read them were:

1. Half Of A Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche. An absorbing and emotionally devastating look at the Nigerian civil war.

2. The Zero by Jess Walter. Set in the days after 9/11, this book is told from the perspective of an investigator who is loosing his sight and quite possibly his mind. I don't think I turned the pages faster reading any other book this year.

3. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. This was gorgeous and way more relatable than it had any right to be.

4. The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian. I still can't think about this one without wanting to break down. I haven't been quite this affected by a book in a long time.

5. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. Another apocalyptic story, this one a little more upbeat, about a family trying to survive after a meteor knocks the moon closer to the Earth, causing worldwide disaster.

6. Icelander by Dustin Long. This one was too much fun to leave off and made me remember why I love the Amelia Peabody mysteries.

7. Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy. Hilarious and fun, with an enviable way with language and character.

8. Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov. Icelander convinced me it was finally time to tackle Nabokov and I couldn't have chosen a better book to start with. I even cornered my dad to tell him all about it.

9. Hollow Kingdom, Close Kin, and In The Coils Of The Snake by Clare B. Dunkle. I loved that these three confounded my expectations in the best possible way.

10. Long Live The Queen by Ellen Emerson White. Truly an edge-of-your-seat book of survival.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?