<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It's not often I can pinpoint the single worst book I read in a particular year. But oh boy can I this year. Stephanie Kuehnert's I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone has a great title that's absolutely wasted on some of the worst writing and characterization I've read in a long time. No one had brown hair - it was chocolate. And eyes weren't green, they were jade or sea-green. Not to mention their eyes were always glittering, flashing, or laughing. It was like beginning fan fiction level writing. I seriously wanted to throw it out the window by the time I hit page 30, but Daisy said it got better so I kept going. By page 100 I really, really wanted to throw it out the window but by that time I was also weirdly fascinated at just how bad it could get. And it did get very, very bad. At one point I was actually laughing at a character's rape because it was like every badfic cliche I'd ever read all rolled up into one. The characters weren't believable at all - none of their actions ever felt like anything other than the author moving them around and making them behave whatever way she needed for them to forward the story. Ugh. Skip this one at all costs.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?