<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Claire recommended Wild Girls by Pat Murphy to me and I thought it was great. It's about two preteen girls who meet each other in the woods and become friends. They start writing stories together and help each other through some tough family drama.

I know I'd heard of Holly Black's Tithe a long time ago and I don't quite remember what prompted me to finally pick it up, but I was pleasantly surprised at how dark it was. These were not the sanitized version of fairies, but rather the vengeful, cruel, and beautiful fey of the old legends brought into a modern setting. I liked it more than I thought I would.

The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite by Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba was pretty awesome. I was surprised at how funny it was, not in a laugh-a-minute slapstick way, but in a nicely sarcastic way that fit the bitter estranged siblings quarreling among themselves while trying to maybe save the world.

I had high hopes for Naomi And Eli's No Kiss List given that Rachel Cohn and David Levithan wrote the fabulous Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist. Coming after that one though, anything less than amazing would be a let down and Naomi And Eli, while pretty good, wasn't amazing.

Margaret Peterson Haddix's Palace Of Mirrors was about a girl who was brought up believing that she was the true princess sent into hiding when she was a baby for her own protection. When men come to kill her she barely escapes to go to the capitol to take her rightful place on the throne. It took a while to get going, but the last half wasn't bad, especially once Ella (from the much stronger Just Ella) showed up.

I've always enjoyed Martin Millar's books with their slightly skewed urban fantasy vibe and Lonely Werewolf Girl was no exception. Kalix is the werewolf girl in question, a drug addled mess of a teenager whose extended family is fighting over leadership of the clan. It was a lot of fun. I loved the smartass dialogue and the characters despite the fact that almost all of them were at best selfish and cruel.

What hasn't already been said about Cory Doctorow's Little Brother? In the vague near-future another terrorist attack on the US, this time in San Francisco. The government cracks down on freedoms, Patriot Act style, and a handful of teenagers form a loose, underground resistance to having their liberty taken away. I enjoyed it even though I found the technical explanations a little clunky at times and some of the characters were pretty flat.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?