<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I might actually catch up this week. My new year's resolution is to not get so freakin' behind again.

Okay! This entry is dedicated to Claire, without whom I would have missed out on some awesome YA this year. Mwah!

Sarah Beth Durst's Into The Wild and Out Of The Wild are pretty cool. Julie, Rapunzel's daughter, has to save her mom and her other fairy tale friends when The Wild (which has been living under Julie's bed ever since her mom defeated it, setting everyone free) escapes and spreads all over town, trapping everyone inside its fairy tales. Out Of The Wild continues right where the first one let off, this time with the entire US in danger of being consumed. The second had a couple of annoying editing mistakes, but other than that I thought both were clever and exciting.

Next up is Megan Whalen Turner's amazing series that starts with The Thief. Gen, the self-proclaimed greatest thief in the world, is captured and taken to steal a stone from the gods themselves. The next book, The Queen Of Attolia starts out fast-paced and never lets up with all the political intrigue. It even manages to work in a very unconventional love story. My favorite of the three is probably the third book, The King Of Attolia. It rather brilliantly shifts the point of view to an outsider, making the dramatic irony so much richer and the payoffs to the reader that much more fulfilling for not having been privy to the planning. I'm not saying any more because I don't want to spoil any of the twists, but I loved these books and I can't wait for the next one to come out.

Claire couldn't believe I'd never read Gene Stratton-Porter's A Girl Of The Limberlost and after having read it I understand her surprise. It's totally the kind of thing I would have loved as a kid. Reading it as an adult though was a different experience, I'd imagine. It was good, especially the nature parts, but I prefer my heroines to be a little more rough around the edges. The character of Elnora is too perfect to really love. I kept comparing her to Anne Shirley, whose messy enthusiasm causes as much disaster as it does success and who we love for both. Elnora just didn't inspire the same empathy in me because she was never allowed to be selfish or fail. I'm glad I read it, though I think I'll stick with Anne.

Oh my gosh, only 20 more 2008 books to go! Yeah!

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?